The schedule for registration for the Boston Public Schools varies by grade level. For more information, see the BPS Registration page.
Our suggestions about registering for BPS are as follows:
- In December or January, pre-register online. Submit your family information and school preferences. Check DiscoverBPS to see if seat availability has changed.
- List your choices in true order of preference. Your child’s “random number” will be used to place her in the highest-ranked school in your list which is available for that number. (It isn’t possible to “game” the system.)
- List as many choices as you can, normally at least five.
- Visit a Welcome Center during the priority registration period (described above) to finalize your registration for the first round. Bring immunizations, birth certificate, and proof of residency.
- Places will go first to those with siblings in a school, who receive a preference; and then to those with the best random number (in effect, a lottery).
- Assignment results are mailed to K1 families around the fourth week of March, and to K2 families around the end of May.
- If you are on a waiting list: Call BPS to check your place on the list. Talk to parents and staff about chances of moving off the waiting list.
- If you receive a place at a school: Contact the school and parents to find out about after-school and other programs.